Smoke Detectors

Smoke Detectors: Protect the Family

The tasteless, colorless and odorless gas if not detected in your home contributes in too many deaths in Canada every year.

Is your home fortified with smoke detectors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

You should know that when people who become unconscious because of inebriation or fall asleep, could die even before they show any signs of monoxide poisoning. It depends largely on the level of carbon monoxide present in the atmosphere due to which you can die within a few hours or for that matter even a few minutes. Therefore, it would be best to place a smoke defectors that would alert you and the family in case you are exposed to the risk of being poisoned.

Different sources of carbon monoxide a smoke detector can detect

Firstly, carbon monoxide can be found in several home appliances such as the stove, gas range, water heaters, gas, dryers, gas cloths, furnaces or wood fireplaces. Apart from that it can be produced when gas is burnt, exhaust from cars, gas or charcoal grills, flues, clogged chimneys or space heaters, where it can build up. Even before you are aware of it, you will find yourself surrounded with toxic air, which would poison you in case you inhale it.

Ways in which you can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

Have at least one detector hard wired and interconnected at each level of the home and in every bedroom

It would be best if you change the smoke detectors batteries every year

Then you should check whether gas equipment has been approved by regulatory bodies.

Get an annual check up scheduled for gas appliances.

Don’t use any flameless chemical heater while you are indoors or within enclosed spaces. It will burn the gas and would allow the carbon monoxide to build up and reach toxic levels. Then you should get experts to repair the gas appliances in case they are not properly functional.

Ensure that you open the flue while you enjoy the furnace or fireplace.

Make sure that you don’t use the gas oven in order to heat the home.

Refrain from running the vehicle, generator or any other fuelled motor while you are indoors. Even if you do so in the garage next door, ensure that the CO exits the space, otherwise the toxic levels will shoot up.

The first sign of carbon monoxide poisoning is feeling like you have the flue without a fever.

Other symptoms

Light headedness
Chest pain
Food poisoning
Irregular breathing
Shortness of breath

There are various ways in which you can monitor the danger levels of the presence of carbon monoxide presence at the home, which can be traced by a detector. Therefore it would be a great idea to install smoke detectors at the home or at businesses. All you need to do is call Butterworth Electric and get them installed right away!